Thursday 18 August 2016

Summer Sunset

 Morning.  
Meet today's card.

I am playing along with a challenge at Splitcoast this morning called Summer's End.  
It feels sad to think that summer is coming to an end already and that soon the kids will be back in school.  Where did the time go?  
Anyways, I decided to showcase one of my most favorite times of summer, the sunsets especially if you are at the beach to watch them.  

I began by die cutting a circle using a Spellbinder die, then I stamped the trees from Flonz in black Memento ink and clear embossed them.  The embossing acts like a resist which is especially good when you are applying inks over and around the image.  Next, I cut another small circle to use as a mask for the moon and placed it over the image.
I sponged Mustard Seed, Ripe Persimmon, Fired Brick and Vintage Photo Distress inks to add the colour in the bkg.  I then removed the small circle and rubbed just a touch of the orange on the white masked area to add a glow to the moon.
Some of my embossing powder went astray at the bottom but I left it as it reminded me of waves crashing up onto the rocks.  I mounted that onto a larger stitched circle and stamped the sentiment from Penny Black.



 Adding my card to these challenges:

Little Red Wagon- SURF'S UP

 CASology- DREAM (of being at the beach!)

Simon Says- MAKE FOR THE BORDER


The Sisterhood of Crafters- CLOSE TO NATURE


Thanks so much to all the well wishes...so appreciated.
My dental surgery went well and I have a swollen face and 6 stitches in my gums but I'm not in pain!
Hopefully, this will clear up this ongoing problem.

Thanks for taking a look too!

Supplies:  stamps- Flonz, Penny Black/ dies- Spellbinder, MFT, My Next Stamp/ inks- Memento, DI/ Cuttlebug/ sponging tool/ clear eb powder/ heat tool



19 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh Karen this is absolutely gorgeous LOVE the beautiful, bold colors! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘CLOSE TO NATURE’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit!

Ellibelle said...

What an amazing sunset you created! Beautiful card!
I agree with you about summer break ending so soon, my kids had to go back this week already!! And it's still in the 90's. I feel so bad for them because their schools aren't air conditioned. Wish school would wait until September to start.

Marie-Louise said...

Beautiful Karen.

JanR said...

Gorgeous! I just love it!

Hannelie said...

Wow, the sun really SHINES Karen! You do amazing thinks with ink!
Beautiful card! So good to see you at CASology!

maria's knutselplezier said...

Just wonderful!! great colours and image!!! I love this!!!

Have fun!!
Maria

CherylQuilts said...

Karen, this is one of THE most amazing and gorgeous cards ever! The sunset and the full moon are so vibrant and look like a real photograph! It's absolutely stunning and a joy to look at! Yes, I'm so sorry your summer is ending soon. Perhaps you need to come visit us this winter? It would feel a lot like your summers. Have a great weekend, my friend! Hugs! xoxo

Nstiz said...

Your sponging is impeccable, Karen! What a fantastic effect you created with that moon! What a beautiful card! Your color blending is just amazing!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautifully done. Great colors.

MaggieB1983 said...

Hi Karen ~ THIS. CARD. IS. STUNNING!!! Absolutely gorgeous.

Jacquie Southas said...

This really is stunning, Karen! The inks are beautifully blended and so striking against the orange, black & pale blue cardstocks. Hope your mouth continues to heal quickly. Thanks for playing along with us at CASology this week!

Julie B said...

Glorious sunset and a fab silhouette Karen, so striking.
Thanks for joining us at ATSM this week. :)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Karen, popped over to say thanks for the visit to mine. I love your style of cards and this one is no exception, just gorgeous. Angela x

Susan said...

Karen...this is GORGEOUS! I Love sunsets, and this one is particularly beautiful! Love the embossing too! See...I would have thought I messed my card up, and you looked at it and thought...waves crashing on the rocks! Love it!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

What a gorgeous summer's end scene. I like your waves crashing up on the rocks. This is a melancholy card as we watch summer slip away. Love it!

Brenda said...

This is wonderful. Sunsets at the beach are so beautiful...just as your card reflects. Thanks so much for joining us Girlfriends at Little Red Wagon!

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning, Karen. The glowing quality in that sun is truly spectacular, against that textured silhouette! WOW on so many levels! Thanks so much for joining us at CASology this week!

debby4000 said...

Gorgeous, beautiful sunset card, wonderful artwork.
Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
Luv
Debby

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning, I love your card, Karen.

Hugs
Anke